𝐖𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐝𝐨𝐞𝐬 𝐏𝐞𝐫𝐬𝐨𝐧𝐚 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐎𝐫𝐢𝐠𝐢𝐧𝐚𝐥 𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐫𝐚𝐜𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐌𝐞𝐚𝐧𝐬 ?

February 06, 2021

     Woah, in the early of 2021 I can't imagine that I'll be this active to do digital illustration. Well, thanks to Ameryl, she was the one who asked me about my persona in January if I wasn't mistaken and I finally decided to design it later. So because of this, I found out that persona has different meaning to original character. So, what is persona means ?


PERSONA

     So, I lil bit curious about what is persona means ? why we can't reffer it to original character ? So, from my point of view after hearing the description about another artist's persona, I've got this conclusion. So the persona can be descripted as a depiction of ourselves in 2D form. In my friend's case, personas can take shape from physical similarities to other things such as a penchant for reflecting the artist.


ORIGINAL CHARACTER

     What sets persona apart from original character is that the OC are drawn from an idea that has been conceived by ourselves and they have a background in the story behind it, both physically and spiritually. They are fictional depictions of the characteristics we describe in 2D. We can build what kind of OC character we want.


MY PERSONA : NAMI-CHAN !

     Let me introduce you to my persona, Nami-chan ! (psst, it's short of my cosname NAMIEKA). As you can see, she's looking like NPC in games but the one make it special for me is the hair style. This one is commonly used when I'm an elementary student back in old days (I attached the photo if you're curious about it). For me, it turns out that designing in a sketch book with a laptop is very different. I feel better in manuals than digital. Something that comes to mind in the head, sometimes it doesn't go as well as planned and you can see the result here. I want to make it as close as possible to my physical form. Actually I want her to have a blue color and wave motif (the origin of the word nami in Japanese). Maybe I'll design it later.



MY ORIGINAL CHARACTER : RHEA LYRISH & NAMIKA MINAMOTO

     Honestly, I'm flustered about persona and original character at first (lack of curiosity & less in deep study about it) so because of this I accidentally make an OC named Rhea Lyrish. My friend just asked me directly : "Hey, it's looks like original character based from her looks. I don't think your daily life looks like that if you want this design to be called a persona, right ?". So from here, I asked again and studied what the hell is a persona? and finally after thinking and re-designing in the sketch book, I got the conclusion afterwards.


THE BORN OF RHEA LYRISH

     So Rhea Lyrish was born from my thoughts on Hydrangeas. This flower is quite famous in my home town, because it has cold weather so it matches the growth of this flower and even sold to big cities such as Denpasar because it is so fertile. The color selection for the clothes is also not far from the original color of the flower itself and for the hair color I adjust it to the color of the clothes so that it looks a sweet blend of colors when viewed.


NAMIKA MINAMOTO

     If we're talking about original character, I'll also talk about my old OC. Since my friend invited me to art trade in 2020, I finally decided to draw it again through digital. So, this is one of my OC when I was in junior high school, therefore the story is not far from the life of the schoolgirl. She has two best friends and Namika has a cool and assertive nature (she is around junior high school). In this picture, she looks cute in a maid-like dress that has been designed in such a way.


Rhea Lyrish - OC
Namika Minamoto - OC


CONCLUSION

     I feel grateful to be able to distinguish persona and original character, so as to be able to design some characters in a fairly close time. Hopefully, I can train more diligently with my persona & OC so that I will be quite proud of my drawing skills later. Persona is a 2D depiction that is close to the physical form / as desired by the artist while OC is a depiction of 2D fictional characters created by the artist into a new world.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Thank you